Search Unorthodox Youth

Wednesday 3 December 2014

I SLEPT IN ALL DAY AND NOW A YEAR HAS GONE BY.


I get up at 2pm. I have a late lunchy type- breakfast substitute thing, i watch tv and already its dinner time. What the hell am i doing.
Are you the same? What are you doing with your days?



As a uni student on break and for someone that works, i didnt do anything. My life for the past 12 months has been nothing but dismal. Had i not moved to sydney or met some incredible people in the past 6 months, i would of continued to watch my life pass by...

Because of lack of friends, or no motivation i spent most of my days in my room. With the door locked and movies on repeat. I never saw the world for what it was and i just let each day pass. A WHOLE FUCKING YEAR! gone. down the drain and i have nothing to look back on. And it sucks to say, but i didnt do anything with my time. I got out of bed when i needed to, i went to work, i went to uni...but on my time off? I did 'sweet fuck all'.

And. i. regret. every. moment. of. it.

Sure its okay for a couple of days when your on holiday...but if your life turns into this massive bubble where you become comfortable lying in pyjamas all day and not breathing fresh air. There is a problem.

Some might call it depression, laziness or just down right idiotic not to go outside and appreciate the world we have around us.

This became a realisation for me about 4 months ago. When i decided i would move to sydney and all of sudden i had nothing to say goodbye to in brisbane. I had nothing to miss. And thats when it hit me. What had i done there? I hadnt appreciated the scenic night lights or trying to meet the hundreds of people roaming the streets or even just joining in on the local opportunities in the area. I had blocked out the world and in return- i was left with nothing.

It takes courage and motivation to get out of bed and go out and do different things outside of your daily schedule. Im not asking you to go up to randoms and talk to them. All i am saying is try to make the most out of what you have. Dont run away or hide- you have nothing to lose, but such incredible things to gain.

Anyway- back to my timeline. It was around september so about 8 months wasted away in my room had already passed, when all of a sudden it hit me, i want to make the most out of this. I want to meet some new people- people who are now friends for life. I want to remember going out- i want to make crazy memories which i will later on, tell my future grandkids.

SO I GOT UP. I showered and left my sanctuary (shit-hole) to experience the unknown. I went to art galleries, i went to basement pubs and walked paths which i had no clue where the hell would end up taking me. I started instigating situations which meant meeting new people, tasting new foods and trying all sorts of alcohol. Every dollar and every minute was worth it. I learnt new things about the small city around me, i learnt that each person has their own story to tell and i realised that in this big wide world (which scared the hell out of me)- i wasnt alone.

Although you believe that its so hard to meet new people and that new people cant match up to your old friends... or new experiences, cant replace your old ones- THEY CAN.
I have developed a whole new persona and a whole new outlook on life just because i told myself 'fuck it, what have i got to lose'.

Sure, it might of taken a few weeks- months even, but i got there. And i can happily say that ill never go back. I might still sleep in till 2 everyday, but i only have myself to blame if i do that. Set your alarm, get up, go for a walk. Listen to the birds around you, look at the people running along the beach or running for their last bus, watch and learn. It'll open your eyes to a whole new world, one which you chose to block out in the first place.

If you find yourself in your room, sleeping in all day, working all night and just buried in misery... i promise you, take a walk. Its something that i can easily resonate with. I am probably the worlds laziest person. It took years for me to realise that i was missing out on living a teenage life. I worked all night and studied all day, and so when i had time to kick my feet up, i didnt take advantage of that. I didnt appreciate the times where i could stay out all night to 6 am and watch the sunrise. I didnt get up and make eggs and bacon and go walking along the river. I didnt go to the movies or go to a play- instead i let moments like those pass. I cant hate myself for it and neither should you. All i can do is learn from my mistakes and realise that i can change for the better.

Help yourself. Live your life and make the most out of it. Appreciate what you have and what is around you, because who knows, you might surprise yourself.

Thats all for now. Sorry if this blog is a little direct, but it was a massive wake up call to me, and it might actually be a little harsh awakening to some of you out there.
But feel free to email me or facebook me if you are stuck or you find your self nodding and saying "yep, i know how that feels", because like i said, you aren't alone and the world is full of hidden opportunities.

Ciao bloggers, until next time! x
SHARE:

3 comments:

  1. "carpe diem"
    "Seize the day, put very little trust in tomorrow "

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
    Old Time is still a-flying;
    And this same flower that smiles today
    Tomorrow will be dying".

    Robert Herrick, 1591 - 1674

    http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/virgins-make-much-time

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Templates by pipdig